Castle Finder

Dunstanburgh Castle

Brief History of Dunstanburgh Castle

  • 1313: Built by Thomas of Lancaster, as refuge after role in death of Piers Gaveston
  • 1315: Licence to crenellate Dunstanburgh granted by Edward II - finished 1319
  • 1322: Thomas in barons' revolt; barons flee back to castle waiting for King's pardon
  • 1326: With Thomas beheaded, castle passes to King, gives to Thomas' brother Henry
  • 1346: Damaged after 30 yrs of border hostilities; ends with Scottish defeat at Neville's Cross
  • 1362: Passes to John of Gaunt through his first wife, Blanche (Henry's grand-daughter)
  • 1380: Gaunt transforms layout to support his role as lieutenant of Scottish border
  • 1399: Gaunt's son becomes Henry IV; castle refurbished as a now royal estate
  • 1461: First battle at castle; Dunstanburgh held by Ralph Percy; seige again in 1462
  • 1520: Disrepair; farmhouse from 1594; Grey family 1605-1869; State-owned from 1920s

Visitor Information Summary

  • Run by English Heritage
  • No on-site parking / toilets
  • Dogs allowed on lead
  • Sat Nav: NE66 3TT